I remember the first time I ever had a chocolate egg cream and I gagged at the thought of drinking raw egg (although cookie dough was a major exception to this reflex). Fast forward to today and one of my favorite drink combinations at a bar consist of gin, citrus and egg white to create the perfect (and prettiest) fizz nestling on the top of the sweet elixir below. I’ve taken the classic Bee’s Knee’s cocktail and amped it up with a little egg foam action. A minute addition to your cocktail that makes all the difference at happy hour.
I love the way the floral gin that’s used in this recipe heightens the brightness of the lemon. Together, it makes for a tart but refreshing drink to enjoy during these lingering months of winter.
- 3 ounces floral gin, I like Hendricks
- 1.5 ounces fresh squeezed lemon
- 3/4 ounce honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg white
- In a cocktail shaker, combine all ingredients with ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Remove ice from shaker and dry shake (without ice) for another 30 seconds.
- Pour cocktail into a coupe and serve with a garnish of lemon twist.